The Eolie tour from Messina is the favourite option of those who want to explore the suggestive Aeolian Islands sceneries within a day. The volcanic archipelago of the Seven Sisters, declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2000, attracts thousands of tourists thanks to its clear water and to the beauty of its colorful natural landscapes; here are in our opinion, the 5 reasons to choose our Eolie tour Panarea & Stromboli cruise.
Eolie tour from Messina: day trip Panarea and Stromboli tour
The Aeolian Islands are a well-known must see Sicily tourist destination, and visiting them is one of the best thing to do in Sicily for sure. Walking through the lanes of the town centre in Panarea island, you will be charmed by the bright Aeolian atmosphere, where the sun shines on the sea with fascinating light effects, lights up the white houses and exalts the bright colours of the lush vegetation. The following are just a few reasons why in our opinion the Aeolian Islands are worth a visit with a day cruise to Panarea Island, the smallest one, and to the explosive Stromboli volcano:
1. Panarea Italy what to see: one of the most interesting things to see in Panarea Island Italy is the prehistoric village on the promontory of Capo Milazzese, dating back to the Bronze Age and composed by the remains of 23 circular stone huts. Within them, important historical artifacts have been found, now on display in the Archeologic Museum of Lipari Island.
2. Beaches of Panarea Aeolian Islands: thanks to the spectacular seabed shaped by volcanic activity, the Aeolian Islands are a real paradise for snorkelers and scuba divers. During your the tour, in the list of the must-to-see beaches of Panarea, you should include the only sandy beach of Panarea island Italy, Cala Zimmari with its clear blue water, the wonderful Cala Junco, right below the promontory of Capo Milazzese, and lastly the Calcara Beach, located in the north on the remains of an ancient crater where the residual volcanic activity shows up with the fumarole.
3. The typical Aeolian cooking: the Panarea and Stromboli tours will also give you the chance to experience the delicious Aeolian cooking in the local restaurant. Capers and cucunci, whose plants grow everywhere on rocks and ravines, are a treasure of the Aeolian Islands, and beside giving a step ahead to the Aeolian dishes, they are also widely exported abroad, even from Roman time. Another distinctive element of the Aeolian tradition is the Malvasia delle Lipari, a sweet Sicilian wine recognized as a PDO product since 1973, whose production is only allowed in the Aeolian territory. Its grapes, brought to the Islands by the Greeks in the 580 b.C., grow on terraced vineyards realized with local lava stone walls.
4. What to see during a Stromboli boat tour: the Sciara del Fuoco (fire road), is one of the main attractions during the experience Panarea and Stromboli cruise. It is a huge slide where the hot volcanic material spills out during the continuous eruptions, giving an impressive and explosive show of ash and lapilli. The day cruise also includes a Stromboli volcano tour, to show you the beautiful waterscapes with a Stromboli boat tour, the cliff of Strombolicchio, and the fascinating sunset before going back to the port of Milazzo.
5. Stromboli tours and cinema: the Aeolian Islands caught the media attention when in 1949 they have been chosen as film set for two different movies: Stromboli, terra di Dio and Vulcano. While shooting the movie Stromboli, terra di Dio, the love affair between the film maker Roberto Rossellini and the female lead, the Swedish Ingrid Bergman, provoked the jealousy of the Rossellini’s wifes, the actress Anna Magnani, who to take her revenge, decided to film at the same time Vulcano in Salina and Vulcano islands. About the two competitor movies a book was written “La Guerra dei vulcani- Storia di cinema e d’amore” (“The War of volcanoes-History of cinema and love”). The Panarea and Stromboli cruise gives the possibility of visiting the house where Roberto Rossellini and Ingrid Bergman stayed during the shooting of their movie in Stromboli.
These are just a few of the reasons why you should try the Eolie tour Panarea and Stromboli tour, and explore the Seven Sisters, seven little worlds on the Tyrrhenian Sicilian coast, all different but able to charm you with their atmosphere, gentle and savage at once.