Only a weekend to visit Sicily may not be enough, but it can be the first of your Sicilian holidays. This year, moreover, we have a big surprise to welcome you in very advantageous conditions. Read on and discover more!
Where to go in Sicily? You may think that Sicily is just an island, but you may not know that this island has so many “sides” that you will be surprised at how different they can be.
Choosing a package holiday to Sicily will be the beginning of your discovery of land with so many experiences to offer you and so many different places to visit that you will be spoiled for choice: so you just have to choose among our Sicily tours your Sicilian holidays among so many destinations: from the ancient Syracuse and the late baroque towns of Noto Valley, Palermo, Agrigento, the Aeolian Islands, Mount Etna and so many villages off the beaten paths, you will be fascinated by this incredibly beautiful island.
Once you’ve been to Sicily, you will feel the need to come back soon, and here are the (first) seven reasons why!
Sicilian holidays, let yourself be enchanted by the Sicilian lifestyle
1. The famous baroque architecture. The first reason to choose a weekend package holiday to Sicily is the rich experience you will live travelling through the famous baroque architecture of the island. After the earthquake of 1693, the towns of the Noto Valley were destroyed and rebuilt by Sicilian people in baroque style (if you want an idea you can have a look at our 3 days tour in the baroque towns). Many Sicilian holidays tours include visits to these baroque cities, widely considered by the public as best places to visit in Sicily.
They have also been nominated World Heritage Sites by UNESCO because of their outstanding universal value, for they “represent a considerable collective undertaking, successfully carried out at a high level of architectural and artistic achievement”. So if you are wondering about where to go in Sicily, the south-eastern part of the island can be the right spot to start your adventure.
2. Sicilian holidays for photography lovers. Another reason to choose the Sicilian holidays is that it will be a great experience if you love photography! The wonderful panoramic view from Mt.Etna or from the Gran Cratere of Vulcano island, the ancient Syracuse with the scenic Cathedral Square and the alleys of the historical centre will inspire your artistic shots.
Also, the town of Noto Sicily, considered the capital of the Sicilian baroque, will give you the possibility to test yourself in taking unusual pictures conveying the details and beauty of majestic staircases, human masques under balconies, stuccoes and beautiful decorations on the buildings’ ceilings and charming views under the architectonical frame of stone arches. So don’t forget to look up: sometimes a rooftop in contrast with the blue sky can be the perspective that stimulates your creativity!
3. Food in Sicily. The third reason to choose Sicilian holidays surely will prove to be the first one if you are a good eater. Typing on Google “what is Sicily famous for” you will find that along with its ancient history, food in Sicily is one of the most important elements of the cultural tradition.
Eating in Sicily is considered a ritual: unlike many other cultures, where the meal is consumed very quickly in order not to waste too much time, Italians, and Sicilian people, in this case, gather together and take their time, also trying to do their best even to come back home to have lunch with families every day, if possible. During important events, such as Christmas or Easter, lunches and dinners can last many hours!
Therefore, even if you just have a weekend, make sure that your package holiday to Sicily includes also typical meals in local restaurants and visits to interesting spots concerning food in Sicily, such as the best Sicilian markets, famous for the street food or cities like Modica Italy.
Here you can visit the local shops where to taste the famous Sicilian chocolate, an artisan production the origins of which came from the Aztecs. Modica Italy, besides being one of the baroque sites of Noto Sicily Valley, is also famous for the production of this particular kind of chocolate, that looks dark, opaque and with a grainy texture. Definitely, something delicious to try!
.4. Another reason to take Sicilian holidays is that, besides being the birthplace of important scientists and philosophers, it inspired not only many writers, poets and painters, but also many film directors who realized movies and TV series based on famous histories and books set just in Sicily.
Along with The Godfather movie, set in Savoca & Forza d’Agrò, also the town of Ragusa Ibla has been the set of the famous TV fiction Inspector Montalbano, based on the crime books of Andrea Camilleri, a great Sicilian writer who recently passed away. The fiction was aired not only in Italy but also in Europe and in the USA. If you are a fan of Inspector Montalbano you cannot miss a Montalbano tour and visit the locations of the set, such as the Cathedral Square of Ragusa Ibla, which is also a masterpiece of the famous baroque architecture.
5. The fifth reason to book a weekend package holiday to Sicily is to try the legendary hospitality of the Sicilian people. Sicilians know how to welcome visitors because they do so since the beginning of their ancient history. For this reason, we are naturally friendly with tourists who have respect for our land and our community. If you want to learn about our culture we will be happy to suggest to you the best spots to eat local, the most beautiful viewpoint, or help you find your way when you get lost.
If you ask, there is a good chance we will personally accompany you to your destination. The result is that next time you come to Sicily you have a new friend to call! For all of these reasons during your Sicilian holidays, the best option is to rely on local tour guides so that you will have an insider at your disposal, who is able to share with you the history, the cultural traditions and all the tricks that will make your travel experience absolutely unforgettable.
6. Sicily is a place where time has stopped. This sixth reason to plan one of the Sicily holidays tours won’t be the last one, because during your Sicilian holidays you will have found many more reasons to come back and you will be thinking about where to go in Sicily next time.
If you want to escape from your routine and work deadlines, in Sicily you find out places where time has no effect: you can attend many popular events of a long tradition, taking place in the most hidden villages off the beaten path, but also in larger cities, you can enjoy the ancient atmosphere of historical little towns, or imagine the actors playing Greek tragedies visiting the Greek Theatres spread over the island, and in summer you can even attend a show if you desire, for example at the Greek theatre of Taormina.
Travelling to Sicily means discovering a place where ancient history, strong traditions and mythology is not just part of our past, but it has an important role in our present too.
7. See Sicily voucher: the last reason is the most convenient one! With the See Sicily voucher deal, you can book your Sicilian holidays at very advantageous conditions, having up to a maximum of 2 free overnights each 6. For more information read our blog post about see Sicily voucher, promoted by the Tourism Department of Sicilian Region.
If you want to know more about where to go in Sicily and take advantage of this opportunity for your Sicilian holidays, contatct us or have a look at our blog, you will find lots of inspirations on places to visit, food to taste, traditions to discover, legends to learn and interesting stories about Sicily and its people!